In 1952 Jacob Hartog initiated the annual Award for artists of Pulchri. After his death in 1962, his son Harold continued awarding the annual Jacob Hartog Prize. In 1979, Harold subsequently founded the Jacob Hartog Stichting in his father's memory. To this day, the Foundation continues to support Pulchri Studio and its artist members with an annual Award Ceremony.
THE HARTOGS OF THE ARTISTS' ASSOCIATION SOCIETY PULCHRIAuthor: Anton Boersma †
First published in Pulchri Journal 1 in 1975:
One name in the list of donors to the Pulchri restoration fund is deliberately not mentioned in the sixth issue of the second volume. On purpose, because he deserves special attention and that is Harold Hartog, currently living in Hamburg. Thanks to his great gift, Pulchri came a lot closer to the 100.000 guilders, the private contribution that the Society itself at least wanted to build for the restoration fund.
It started with his father Jacob Hartog, who financially supported young artists before the Second World War and at Christmas, knew how to surprise them culinary. At that time he was a loyal member of the association and a great friend of Mac Roest, Wibbo Hartman and Sierk Schröder. His work for the association and its members, even in the time that Jacob Hartog later lived in New York, was honored by Pulchri appropriately. We read in the Annual Report 1951: “At the proposal of the Board, Mr. Jacob Hartog in New York was appointed an honorary member of the association. Jacob Hartog, who was many years before the war a member of Pulchri Studio, had during that time and even after his departure to America so many proofs of his friendship for the association and his interest for the social position of the visual artist in general, that the board considered the time came to show our special gratitude and nominate him an honorary member of Pulchri.
This honorary membership did not end his maecenaat for Pulchri. On the contrary, inspired by his former friends, he contributed to Pulchri, an amount for which from 1952 onwards to this day enables the famous annual Jacob Hartog Awards. In the report of 1952 we read about: “starting from 1952, the annual award was given the name of the sponsor, the “Jacob Hartog Award”. The Jacob Hartog Prize consists of a first prize of NLG 500, – and a second prize of NLG 250, – which each year will be awarded at the Spring Exhibition, selected by a jury to be formed annually. The jury will consist of a chairman (acting member of Pulchri Studio), two artists not residing in The Hague and two civilians. Originally the Jacob Hartog Prize would be granted during the lifetime of Mr. Hartog and additionally five years after his death. By his additional gift on the occasion of his golden wedding it became possible that even after this date, this prize could be continued. “In the same report of 1952 we read that for the first time, the first prize was awarded to Sierk Schröder for a portrait of Cornelis Veth and the second prize to Jan van Heel for his painting “Quiet image with a chicken” in 1952. The jury consisted of: Wibbo Hartman, David Schulman, Jan Wiegers, Mac Roest and P. Oudshoorn.
What stands out are two things: firstly, the jury is composed in a different way today than stated in the 1952 annual report. Whenever this was decided, we can not find out. It would be nice if once again the Hague citizens would get a voice in the matter. Secondly, not only the number of prizes, but also the amount of the prize increased. The fact that these prizes are given every year even after the death of Jacob Hartog on December 4, 1962 is the great merit of his son Harold Hartog, also a generous sponsor for Pulchri, following in the footsteps of his memorable father. His father's memory was honored with a bronze plaque made by Dirk Bus in the long corridor of the building of the association. True to the tradition of the Hartogs, Harold Hartog was one of the first to put a solid foundation under for the building's restoration fund.
This is mentioned with great gratitude.
Pulchri Journal 1, 1975